Thursday, March 24, 2016

Patricia's Erasmus+ experience in Alsfeld


Patricia Gama

My Erasmus experience

I was invited by my Math’s teacher, Jorge Guerra, to take part in this project. Therefore, I was in the “team” when our foreign partners were in Aveiro. I took part in some of the joint activities such as the trip to OLI the company visited by the students.  However, my real Erasmus experience was here in Alsfeld.

I had never taken a flight before, so making the check-in and entering the waiting area was exciting. In the beginning of the journey, I was very nervous because I didn’t know what to expect about staying with an unknown German family.

Nurja, my host student, met me at the hotel entrance; she was so nice that I immediately felt at ease. I didn’t know how to greet her and her family. In Portugal we generally kiss each other on the cheek, here, we first shake hands.

She took me home and we immediately had lunch. She explained how meals work in Germany, she told me about her daily routine and about her family. During my first afternoon in Alsfeld she showed me her house, she spoke about the town and about her friends and we compared differences in the two countries. The most surprising fact was the weather; it was so cold and I’d never seen snow before!

During my stay here what I’ve enjoyed most was the time spent with my new friend after classes/activities. We did lots of things, we went shopping, we went to a “Bäkerei” to have coffee and we wandered around the town. I met many of her friends, they were all friendly and they were always asking me if I was alright.

My favourite activities were the visit to Merkers, the salt mine and the meeting with the refugees. Listening to their life stories was a lesson, the media don’t let us know how much courage they need to escape their countries and travel without any certainties. Going to the club “Plan B” was also exciting; I enjoyed being with every foreign student, and getting to know them better.

The only obstacle I found a little bit difficult to overcome was the language. I am not very fluent at English, so sometimes it was difficult to communicate. I overcame that by using Spanish and French, and lots of times I used gestures.

Germany is quite different from my country, but I had a great time. I wouldn’t mind doing my apprenticeship here. I would like to come back here to meet everyone again.

Patrícia Gama, Portugal